Important information regarding cookies

By using this website, you consent to the use of cookies in accordance with the Housing Agency Cookie Policy. For more information on cookies see our privacy policy.

Rental Accommodation Scheme (RAS)

If you wish to apply under the Rental Accommodation Scheme (RAS) you must complete a separate RAS application form and submit it to the local authority in whose area you wish to live. To apply for RAS you must have normally claimed rent supplement for the last 18 months and be living in private rented accommodation.

Local authorities will make agreements with private landlords to provide accommodation on a medium to long-term basis. You may transfer to the RAS in your current accommodation if:

  • the quality of your current accommodation meets your local authority’s standards;
  • your landlord is registered with the Private Residential Tenancies Board (PRTB);
  • your landlord agrees to move to the RAS, and
  • your landlord is tax compliant.

Otherwise your local authority will offer you new accommodation.

The following are further key points on the RAS:

  • the local authority will pay the full rent to the landlord on behalf of the tenant.
  • the tenant contributes to the rent but pays it to the local authority, not the landlord.
  • the Residential Tenancies Act 2004 will govern the relationship between the landlord and the tenant.

For further information, contact your local authority directly.

Find out more on the RAS section of the Citizens Information Website