Important information regarding cookies

By using this website, you consent to the use of cookies in accordance with the Housing Agency Cookie Policy. For more information on cookies see our privacy policy.

Social Housing Support

Social housing support is housing provided by a local authority or an Approved Housing Body* to people who cannot afford housing from their own resources.

Local authorities are the main providers of social housing support in Ireland. There are a number of ways a local authority provides housing:

  1. A social rented tenancy in property owned and managed by the local authority.
  2. A social rented tenancy in property owned and managed by an approved housing body.
  3. A tenancy in a property the local authority is managing or has leased from a private property owner
  4. A RAS (Rental Accommodation Scheme) tenancy where the local authority arranges short or long term leases with private landlords for particular properties. (People in receipt of rent supplement for 18 months or longer are eligible to apply for this type of accommodation).

A local authority also provides accommodation specifically for Travellers and for people with specific housing needs, for example:

  • homeless people, and
  • people with disabilities.

As a tenant in social housing support, you are required to pay rent to the local authority. How much rent you pay depends on your income and household size.

*Approved Housing Bodies are independent non-profit making organisations that provide:

  • rented housing for people who cannot afford to buy their own homes, and
  • specialist housing, such as housing for older people or homeless people.

They provide housing on a similar basis to a local authority. These organisations can take a number of legal forms, such as incorporated bodies, trust bodies or societies. They are also known as Voluntary Housing Associations or Housing Co-operatives.

For further information, contact your local authority and see the Social Housing Page on Citizens Information.