Applying for Social Housing Support

Application form

To apply for social housing support you must fill in and submit an application form to your local authority. You must apply to the local authority area in which you wish to live. You can get an application form from your local authority's offices or on their website.

You can only apply to one local authority for social housing support. Make sure you have the correct application form. The name of your local authority should be at the top of the form. If you use an application form for the wrong local authority, your application will be returned to you.

Make sure you fill in all parts of the application form and submit all of the necessary documents. If your application is incomplete, it will be returned to you. The checklist at the front of the document should be used to ensure that all required information is submitted with the application.

An Easy Read Guide to the completion of the application form is available. Please find further translations below: 

An Easy to Read Guide to Filling out the Application for Social Housing Supports is translated in the following languages: 

Local connection

You should apply to the Local Authority in whose area you would like to live. This does not have to be the area where you currently live. If you don't not currently live in the area you would like to live in, you must show that you have a connection to that area, such as family, employment, education or medical needs.

Areas of choice

When applying for social housing support, you can choose up to three areas within the local authority area where they would like to live. If there is more than one local authority in your county of application, you may be able to chose an area within another local authority of that county. Speak to your local authority for more information.

You should think carefully about the selection of these areas, as only suitable housing in these areas will be offered to you. You should consider factors such as services, transport, links to family and friends, and types of housing in the area and whether they would suit you.  You should remember that if you choose a popular area, you may wait longer for an offer of housing than if you choose a less popular area.

Approved housing body housing

To apply for housing with an approved housing body, you should fill in the application form from your local authority. In Part 13, tick the box that says ‘Voluntary/Co-operative Housing’.


Additional information

If you are applying for housing support and you have a disability, make sure to include complete information about your situation with your application.

If you would like help with your application form:


< Previous Page  Social Housing Eligibility and Need

   Next Page >       Social Housing Waiting Lists and Allocations